Got tired of stripper Kori. Done entirely with Liquid Green Stuff.
Tonight’s final matchup: my highly modded X-Men vs. Dave’s Brotherhood of Mutants.
TabApp Wolverine + Canadian Social Policy (full gauntlet)
10th Modern Storm
Cap Kitty Pryde
10th Dark Phoenix (100 points)
10th Modern Magneto
CWFF Scarlet Witch
One of the questionsthe Carnivalasked of comic focused bloggers was ‘why is this theWomen in Refrigeratorslist still relevant today?’ And it is still relevant because women are still being written in a way that makes it a very hostile environment for women to want to read superhero comics.
- Female characters are drawn in a way that emphasizes them as a heterosexual male fantasy or object of desire.
- Women in comics are called degrading names (ie. Catwoman and Harley Quinn in Batman: Arkham City - a video game created in the spirit of the comics; Catwoman being called a ‘bitch’, ‘gutter slut’, etc. in Paul Dini’s Heart of Hush series; a ‘tramp’ by Damian Wayne in Streets of Gotham).
- They are put into limbo or fans are informed that they weren’t really the hero everyone thought were (Donna Troy, Cassandra Cain, Mia Dearden, Grace Choi, Renee Montoya to name a few; Stephanie Brown is constantly denied the status of Robin by the heads of DC).
- They are drawn in a one-size fits all manner (Amanda Waller - women of size are not allowed in this world).
- They are maimed, killed, depowered, and assaulted. And when they are killed, it is often in extremely gruesome and horrifying ways: the latest was in the recent Batman: Leviathan where Jezebel Jet’s head is seen on a stake.
- And, finally, they are the number one victims of sexual violence.
I also wanted to highlight sexual violence against female characters because without a doubt, this does not happen to male characters at even remotely the same rate. Ascomic creator Caitlin Kiernan said in response to the Women in Refrigerators list, “I do suspect that female characters endure much more in the way of sexual violence, since the primarily male audience would find sexual violence against men distasteful and turn away, and the writers and editors know that.”
What Kiernan says underscores the fact that the male (essentially white heterosexual male) audience is much more important than the female audience who would find the amount of sexual violence against women in comics to be offensive, hostile, off-putting, demeaning and degrading.
Phil Jimenez responded to the Women in Refrigerators list by saying, ”Without a doubt, female characters are abused and degraded in ways male characters never would be, for various reasons, ranging from the mostly male, mostly white creators of these books venting their (often subconscious) lack of respect for women in the books themselves, to the fact that many of the females (like Supergirl or Batgirl or even Jade), are essentially satellite characters of the originals, and therefore are easier to “mess” with, without concern of ruining a particular “franchise.”
It’s an unfortunate trend, and one I can only hope does NOT continue.”
But, sadly, it has continued. I have created a list of women in comics who have beensexually manipulated/abused/molested/assaulted or raped. Others are victims of some kind of sexual violence, or were killed solely for their sexuality (ie. Silhouette) Some of these I took directly from the Women in Refrigerators list, others I researched on my own. You can read more about why I compiled this listhere. This list is by no means exhaustive. It is a numbered list to show the actual number; not to qualify them in any ordered format.
- Mia Dearden/Speedy - raped by her father when she was a child, ran away from home and forced into underage prostitution as a result. Nearly raped by a politician, and by Stanley Dover. Threatened by Dr. Light. She also is the only HIV positive character in superhero comics. Currently in limbo
- Red Sonja - Brutally raped at 17 by the leader of a mercenary group
- Jessica Jones/Jewel - sexually manipulated by the Purple Man who demeaned and humiliated her and asked her to beg him for sex, and would then deny her and force her to watch him rape or have sex with other women
- Stephanie Brown/Spoiler/Robin/Batgirl - nearly sexually abused by her father’s friend. Brutal, highly sexualized torture by Black Mask. Denied being Robin by the powers that be at DC. Denied a memorial. Finally given a memorial. Currently in limbo
- Talia al Ghul- threatened with rape by Bane
- Sue Dibny - raped by Dr. Light as a way of providing angst for her husband. Then killed. This one is particularly insidious as her husband says, “I hope she fought” after learning that she had been raped. This statement is essentially victim blaming: if a woman does not fight back hard enough, she must have in some way wanted or consented to it.
- Barbara Gordon/Batgirl/Oracle - shot in the spine, and then her clothes were removed so Joker could take pictures of her naked body as a way of further hurting her father (by degrading her)
- Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel - raped and impregnated by… her own son
- Felicia Hardy/Black Cat - in a retcon, we learn that she was raped by her boyfriend
- Selina Kyle/Catwoman - In Catwoman #1: Metamorphosis, she is is beaten and raped by her pimp, Stan
- Gloria from Batman 424 - raped by Felipe Garzonas. Commits suicide after Garzonas threatens to come after her again
- Grace Choi - kidnapped, tattooed and pimped out as a child.
- Cinder DuBois - of Cinder and Ashe by Gerry Conway. She was raped when she was 13
- Bobbi Morse/Mockingbird - Phantom Rider abducts, drugs, and brainwashes Mockingbird into forgetting her original life and convinces her she is in love with Slade, and by implication in the story, raping her
- Kate Bishop/Hawkeye II - attacked and raped while walking through a park. Used as motivation for her to become a superhero
- Mark Millar has two entries that would absolutely count as being exploitative rape scenes: the Police chief’s daughterin Mark Millar’s Nemesis is raped by her own gay brother; and Kick-Ass’s love interest,Katie, is gang-raped by a character named The Motherfucker and his allies in Kick-Ass 2.
- Dinah Lance/Black Canary II - tortured, made infertile, depowered - she is found hanging by her hands wearing just a T-shirt
- Christine Helvin of Troublemakers - victim of date rape
- Helena Bertinelli/Huntress II - sexually abused as a child
- Sandra Woosan/Sandra Wu-San/Lady Shiva - forced by David Cain to produce a child with him
- Power Girl - depowered, magically impregnated
- Red Guardian II - kidnapped and brainwashed into the love-slave of a super-villain
- Karen Page (Daredevil) - forcibly impregnated, made to believe that she had HIV by Mysterio and killed.
- Michonne (Walking Dead) - violently raped and tortured by a character named the Governor to force her to reveal the location of a prison. She gets revenge by carving out her rapist’s eye, chopping off his arm, and cutting off his genitals.
- Abigail “Abby” Arcane Holland - raped by her undead uncle when she thought it was her husband
- Koriand’r/Starfire - raped, tortured, enslaved; forced into marriage… twice
- Tara Markov/Terra - statutorily raped by Deathstroke
- Diamondback - Beaten and raped by Crossbones as a teenager. Later kidnapped and beaten by him again. Injected with serum that made her mentally unstable. Graphically killed.
- Edith Freiberg/Inertia, of Squadron Supreme - Abused by her parents. Raped by three boys. Her father refused to believe her because she didn’t have an injury and said she was just promiscuous.
- Liberty (SuperPatriot’s daughter) - Repeatedly raped by invading martians as a way to get back at her father. She becomes pregnant as a resultand keeps the child.
- Sandra Knight/Phantom Lady - Abducted while pregnant. Left for dead and fetus stolen from womb. Recovered, but never reunited with husband or lost child. Retired from crime-fighting.
- Silhouette, of Minutemen - Killed for being a lesbian. The violence here was because of her sexuality
- Sally Jupiter/Silk Spectre I - Attempted rape & severe beating by Comedian. The rape attempt was stopped by Hooded Justice. As Hooded Justice helps her up, he says, “Get up… and for God’s sake, cover yourself.” It essentially implies that the way she dresses contributed to the attempted rape.
- Windfall - Drugged. Gang raped by a group of Frat boys. Pictures of rape posted on internet, which resulted inher expulsion from school. Dead.
- Sooraya Qadir/Dust - her niquab and abaya were taken forcibly from her by X-23 and she was left in her shorts and t-shirt [Additional context] (This is not just a sexual assault, but is also a racist act.And this does and has happened in real life)
- Jennifer Walters/She-Hulk - horriblyslut-shamed (While not a physical assault, it serves to degrade women who like sex and make them appear to be worthless, and within rape culture, considered more culpable if raped or sexually assaulted)
- Laura Kinney/X-23- forced into underage prostitution
- Arella was raped by the demon Trigon, leading to the conception of their daughter Raven.
- Red Lantern Bleez was repeatedly raped by members of the Sinestro Corps after her home planet was overrun, which inspired her with the rage to become a member of the Red Lantern Corps. This story appeared on July 22, 2009.
- Harriet Arkham and her daughter were both brutally raped and murdered by Martin “Mad Dog” Hawkins.
- Crazy Jane - molested and attempted rape
- Janissa the Widowmaker - raped repeatedly by multiple demons for months to make her stronger
- Hippolyta – raped by Heracles
- Artemis of Bana-Mighdall - raped, beaten and tortured at first, at the hands of her “husband” (Dalkriig-Hath) and possibly other demons. Eventually, Artemis killed Dalkriig-Hath and regained access to the world of the living. Following the period of time when she took over Wonder Woman’s role.
- In theMiracleman comic - Dr. Emil Garganza, raped a Mexican gang leader’s wife in front of the leader, before killing him.
- In the graphic novel Joker, Johnny Johnny’s ex-wifeis raped by Joker to getback at his henchman and put him in line.
- Lianna, the girlfriend of Scandal Savage in Secret Six is stalked and harassed and repeatedly called a whore
- Gwen Stacy- killed by Norman Osborn for being pregnant with his twins
- The Amazons– raped by Heracles and his soldiers
- Maki Matsumoto/Lady Bullseye from Daredevil. She was kidnapped and about to be sold into sex slavery by the Yakuza, before being accidentally freed by Bullseye, which inspired her to become an assassin like him.
- Xi’an “Shan” Coy Manh/Karma- Thai pirates attacked Karma’s family on her way from Vietnam to the United States, raped her and her mother, and killed her father. Her mother died soon afterwards.
- Gamora(seen in in Warlock and the Infinity Watch, among others) was raised and trained by death-worshipper Thanos of Titan after she was orphaned. When she runs away while they’re on a trip, she’s beaten and raped by a group of thugs, which provides the impetus for Thanos to rebuild her stronger and more powerful than she was before.
- Ultimate Comics AvengersPetra Laskov/Red Wasp/Wasp II. She was a promising scientist, married to an activist, and had a baby. Then the Red Skull shows up, because he’s working for the side the husband is protesting against. The scientist, forced to choose between her husband and child, kills her husband, only for Red Skull to then toss her baby out a third story window, and have his men gangrape her. This leads to her becoming the Wasp.
- Jenny Hayden/Jade- Her Starheart power, and her hair and skin changing to the colour green were “defensive reactions” to being sexually abused
- Ultimates verseRogue: childhood sexual abuse by her father revealed in a throwaway line
- Stacy X: same as Ultimates verse Rogue (part of Chuck Austen giving characters abusive/evil father figures in a run that also included a raped nun going insane and trying to destroy the Catholic church via exploding communion wafers)
- Jeanne-Marie Beaubier: childhood sexual abuse retconned into a past that already included explicit physical and emotional abuse and repeatedly subjected to sex to which her base personality did not consent to from her teammate, Sasquatch
- Sin / Synthia Schmidt -. In Captain America v5 #15, Crossbones for weeks repeatedly tortured and abused his girlfriend, Sin until she remembered who she was. The last page depicts her remembering she’s evil and the Red Skull’s daughter, so she goes to Crossbones and thanks him for all the brutality and they have sex.
- Mercury / Cessily Kincaid - In New X-Men v2 #33-36, she was kidnapped by the Facility and they tortured her with repeated electrocution in her bra & underwear to separate her skin, so they could create the monster, Predator X.
- 616!Roguewas sexually abused when she was captured in Genosha.
- Sharona Jackson/Rapture- Woman of colour from a disadvantaged background who was forced into prostitution at a young age. Killed by the villian Dark Lord. Alternate version was targeted for sexual assault by another villain, then had her skull crushed by the cape who “rescued” her.
- Annie (no last name)- raped and discarded by Dragon!verse Thor, kept the child, then was murdered by Thor for hiding his son from him.
- Jill August/Dart - comes from an abusive home, snaps and becomes a superhero after she and a friend are assaulted by several men in a bar. Was killed when an ally accidentally pulverized her skull in battle.
- Michelle Gonzales- raped by the Chameleon, who deceived her into thinking he was her roommate, Peter Parker. The aftermath, wherein Michelle thinks she’s had sex with Peter and expects a relationship from him, is then played for humor value.
And this is why I get upset about hate speech in fandom.Source: georgethecat
On the continuing subject of Figures I’d Never Think I’d Make, Speedball. Again for the Spainish Gent, this figure is made from Supernova Ant Man mostly. Good bit of sculpting and having a lot of fun putting together his speedballs. (I have no idea what they’re called.)
The Speedballs are silica gel balls, from one of those packets that say “DO NOT EAT”. It was fun to put together, because it was a process of dripping hot glue into some silica gel balls, waiting for it to cool, adding more glue, adding more balls. Good times.
Commission for a Gent in Spain. I made him from Firebrand from Armor Wars and a hell of a lot of green stuff. Fun sculpting, fun painting. Couldn’t find a picture of this armor’s back, so I had to make it up. I shipped the mod to Spain a few months back, so I don’t have him to take better pictures with, sadly.
So, in the comic books, there’s the Green Lanterns, who are basically Space Police with magic rings powered by their Will.
Recently, a whole spectrum of Lanterns of different colors, each tied to a different emotion have been introduced. Amongst these are the Red Lanterns, whose Rings are powered by Rage.
The artist who was charged with drawing the first crowd scene of the Red Lanterns drew in, as a joke, his cat Dexter in the background as a Red Lantern. The writer loved the idea so much he named the cat Dex-Starr and turned him into a major character in the Red Lantern Corps.
I freaking love that there’s a housecat who’s an avatar of rage now. As such, I’d been vaguely meaning to make myself a mod of him. HCRealms just had a Secret Santa gift exchange and I was delighted to find my chosen giftee had a Dex-Starr Mod on his list.
Hence, why there are two Dex-Starrs in the images. The first hard part of this mod was finding a Housecat in the right scale. The base figure is from an O-Scale Train Accessories store, Scenic Express, the burst of red is from Azrael and it think it managed to work reasonably well. The second hard part was then painting the whole thing on a remarkably small size.
Luckily, the recipient loved it!
I ended opening up mine a bit early because of a trade offer that was pending….
AND I GOT SOMETHING SO AMAZING I COULDN’T BELIEVE IT!!!
A CUSTOM DEX-STARR!!!!
Xlii you ROCK!!!!
For all those that want to see, he said he would be putting it up on his blog sometime soon, for it has a brother! (dun dun DAH!)
I’m quite glad we have a 300 pt scale Phoenix for the X-Men now. The Giant Size #1-Rogue era is my favorite time period of the X-Men comics, where they really were finding their footing. It was a period of globetrotting adventures mixed with a discovery of the X-Men as minority metaphor. Good comics.
I made this mod originally back during the Sinister/Supernova time period, and put her on a Coming of Galactus Firestorm dial for a while. Phoenix is the third figure I’ve done based on Jewel from Sinister. It’s such a wonderful base for female characters. Jean’s pretty much just that figure reposed, with a new arm. The hair is pretty much an original sculpt. The splash of water is from a Horrorclix “Brine Witch” (totally different than the Brine That). The sash is cut from some cape in Sinister. Maybe Valkyrie?
I’d love to do more figures with metallic paint. It comes out looking so nice. Just aren’t very many X-Men in specifically GOLD costumes.
Rogue is part of my ongoing attempt to make “Super Rare” quality sculpts for all my classic X-Men. There’s a good number of X-Men with Sentinel debris, so I thought to continue that with Rogue. I wanted to find a more interesting way of posing her, so I set her up as flying upward dragging a Sentinel forearm. It gives her height that many flyers have been missing since the demise of flight stands, but caused massive structural issues.
Nearly an entire paperclip is embedded in Rogue to keep her attached to the Sentinel arm, to keep her arms together, to keep the arm tentacles together. So far, she’s holding up.
The main core of the figure is Queen Bee, one of my favorite sculpts. The lowered arm is from Manhunter. I believe the cape is from the first Cyborg Superman. The hand of the sentinel is from the Infinity Challenge Sentinel, with tentacles from Braniac-13. The forearm and most of Rogue’s costume and hair are an original sculpt.
Due to the huge amount of complexity in putting this figure together, unlike the other mods I post here, I won’t be selling copies of this figure.
Played one of the best games of Clix I’ve played in a while tonight. My X-Force against a Suicide Squad/pogswarm team. We played on the Kent Farm map, I spent most of the game stealthed in a field. We both had good, but not great, die rolls which made for a good game where positioning really mattered.
Early on, I got Syrin onto her pulse wave clicks, which we both knew could end the pogswarm quickly. I managed to take out both Mary Janes using PW, so I avoided Suicide Squad heals and Mystics damage.
The game came down to Cable and Domino vs. Amanda Waller and Deadshot. I managed to get Cable onto his HSS clicks, which let me finally clean up, but that was a really close game.
Now we’re getting obscure! One of three WWII veterans with super-powers who fought the X-Men in the 80’s. Later joined Freedom Force. Eventually my patron will commission Crimson Commando and Silver Sable, he says.
Stonewall was ironically made from Stonewall of the Secret Warriors from Captain America with some parts from Radioactive Man from Sinister.
Techniquewise, I received a hand drill when I started making Stonewall, so he’s the first figure with pinning inside to hold all his parts together. I must say, it holds him together well. Also, I took some advice from a friend and Games Workshop and really worked at highlighting over black on this figure, giving him a much more detailed and rich paint job. I feel like I’ve really been improving my skills lately.
Have I mentioned how much I love his mustache?
I’ve recently started doing a series of commissions for a gentleman from Spain. He’s a fan of somewhat obscure characters from the 80’s X-Men comics. Longshot is probably the least obscure of these.
The figure is pretty much a complete sculpt over the Spider-Girl figure from Web of Spider-Man. The face is Hyperion from Supernova with sculpted awesome 80’s hair. The daggers are, of course, from Dagger.
This is my second Nightcrawler Mod, similar recipe to the first, but this time with scenery. Much of the figure is from a Fantastic Forces NC, with the torso being mostly an original sculpt. The cross is from Daredevil (Sinister), the other big time Catholic in Marvel.
I’ve been told a few times that people don’t mind playing against Nightcrawler, because they like the sculpt so much! Quite the compliment.
At GenCon, I was able to show this to Ben Cheung, the guy who designed the WOS Nightcrawler Dial, which is what the sculpt is currently on. Ben was an incredibly nice guy and seemed genuinely pleased with the mod.
The figure really hides in shadows, like the actual character, so I’ve needed to edit the photos a good bit in post production to get the colors to actually show.
Kitty Pryde and Lockheed
WK finally came out with a new Kitty Pryde Heroclix, and decided to base the sculpt on a 3 issue mini-series from the 90s. Huh.
So instead, I put this one together. Kitty in her Astonishing X-Men Uniform, with Lockheed. Lockheed is there largely as a reminder to me that Kitty has range. Honest to lack-of-god, I played this figure at least 3 times before making the mod and forgot to use range every time.
Kitty is built from the body of Saturn Girl from the Legion Starter Set, the face of Invisible Woman from Fantastic Forces and an original sculpt on the hair, based off this cosplayer. Lockheed is fairly obviously the GSX Lockheed. I did a light wash on him to try to give him a bit more depth of color, but overall didn’t change much. The debris is Black Knight’s Flying Horse thing from Fantastic Forces.
I, for one, really liked the period of Clix sculpt epitomized by Collateral Damage, where many figures had a bit of themed terrain they were running on. Makes for more interesting sculpts. Nowadays it seems this level of detail is mostly saved for Super Rares. I’m slowly working through all my favorite X-Men, giving them a bit more dynamic sculpts and generally some scenery.
Kitty isn’t phasing through the debris because I felt that everyone does a half sculpt with her phasing through something. I also wanted the option to swap the sculpt onto other dials. She’s removable by twisting her 90 degrees and has a flight peg. I can put her on Phantom Girl’s dial for a Rookie level figure that’s nearly 1/3rd the points.